Tuesday, March 18, 2014

middle school science is hard





Lionfish
Having been through this a few times, I conclude that the popular notion of 'science' (e.g., guy in white lab coat) drives students to attempt experiments in which experimental error and small data sets result in rarely useful results.  I encouraged my daughter to study swimming performance utilizing years of USA Swimming data, but the teacher said 'that isn't science'.  I guess all of astrophysics 'isn't science', since no one is up there riding on deep space probes measuring things by hand

As it happens, my 6th grader is doing a research project on the environmental impact of Lion Fish.  I decided to post his online survey as widely as possible (and enlist the help of some friends) in hopes of giving him some numbers to work with.  Some of the results:

[Update: The Internet is awesome; over 100 participants in the first few hours; as we were constructing some graphs, and the data was updating before our eyes.  Thanks!.]

No comments:

Post a Comment